Sunday, August 8, 2010

Cake Challenge!

So most people ask me how I got this random talent of decorating cakes and why I even thought to start a cake business.   Well...it all started my freshmen year at Syracuse.  My roommate and I spent countless hours watching the Food Network and coloring in Looney Tunes coloring books.  The Food Network became our go-to channel when we were having a bad day.


Also as a way to make friends on my floor, I baked a whole bunch of chocolate chip cookies and wrote on everyone's doors to help themselves to some cookies!  Baking became a way into people's hearts and brought my entire floor together.  From then on, I continued to bake on my floor during finals and midterms, for birthdays and holidays just to bring everyone a bit closer. 


That summer, my mom handed me a copy of Woman's Day Magazine and told me to make the cake that was featured on the cover.  (The Teddy Graham Pool Cake from Summer Cakes).  After successfully making that cake...the rest was just history.  My mom's little cake challenge turned into a new found talent and hobby.


Since then, I have made cakes for all of my family's birthdays, christenings, holiday parties.  This year as a senior at Syracuse I came up with the idea to sell my cakes.  So I advertised them on Facebook and a Twitter and sold cakes to some friends and friends of friends.  And now, that I am home for good- I am working on making the business even bigger and better.  Creating new items to feature and improving my decorating skills! Some of my favorite cakes are featured below- feel free to comment and post suggestions:
Happy Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment