Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Delivery Disaster...ALMOST!

Most people assume that the most difficult part of making and decorating a cake, is making it perfect.  Which, I can not lie-- is very true.  I am a perfectionist, so I like to create a product that has absolutely  NO flaws.  However, the most difficult and challenging part of having a cake business, is delivering the cake! 

If you have watched any Cake Challenge on the Food Network or even Ace of Cakes, it is absolutely nerve racking to move a large cake, let alone travel a long distance with a cake.  Well, I have had first hand experience delivering a large cake and almost dropping half of it on my lap.  It was a three-tier engagement cake with really delicate fondant details.  As my mom drove, I held the cake in my lap praying for dear life that the cake would not tumble.  Unfortunately, some of the fondant lattice work, crumbled off of the cake to my dismay.  I was able to move the top tier around to hide the flaws, but I was heart broken.

Now, I have mastered the tiered cake (sort of) and I have learned how to place a cake in my car so that it won't tilt or tip. It's still a bit nerve wracking, but hey- it's always worth the smile and happiness of delivering it to the birthday person! (or engaged couple!)  Check out the cake below!











BAKE ON!

1 comment:

  1. I have a strong memory of your mom screaming "Never again!!! From now on they pick up!!!!" Haha. But it was all good. Not too much damage. And that's a damn good lookin' cake.

    ReplyDelete