Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Baking Blunders

So I must admit, with all of my experience baking, I have made some mistakes and caused messes, burned myself and once almost blew up the microwave.  What good baker doesn't get her hands dirty, have a few burn marks and end up with flour everywhere?  At least that is my mentality!

I think the best story I have is how I tried to make Ice-Cream bon bons!  My best friend and I thought they would be a fun addition to our annual 4th of July BBQ.  Sounds great, right?  NOT.  We bought some ice-cream (chocolate-vanilla) and let it melt down a little so we could scoop it easier.  We made nice little ice-cream balls and let them re-freeze.  We then melted molding chocolate and butterscotch to cover the ice-cream balls with.  BAD IDEA!  I used a double boiler for the chocolate, and then decided to microwave the butterscotch.  Well...I left the metal spoon in the dish, then melted the butterscotch too much that it burned and ended up melting the microwavable bowl.  Disaster!  As my friend and I tried rolling the ice-cream balls in the melted chocolate, the ice-cream started to melt and they no longer stayed in shape.  Her and I ended up eating what was left of the chocolate and ice-cream and totally forfeited the idea of Ice-Cream bon bons!

Another great one...I was making an Angel Food Cake for my aunt (she's diabetic, and there is less sugar in Angel Food Cake).  Well, I made the mix and put it in a bundt pan..it was a little high but I figured it would NEVER bake over.  Well I placed it in the oven, set the timer and went on with my daily tasks.  Soon, I started smelling something funny.  Lo and behold, the cake baked over and spilled all over my mom's oven!  The batter burned on the bottom of the oven, I took it out and burned my hand and tried to salvage what was left of the batter.  Let's just say- I finished the cake and learned a hard lesson about how much batter to put into a pan!

Hopefully you can learn from my blunders- but stories like this make baking exciting!  And scars always make good stories!  Remember, BAKE ON!

No comments:

Post a Comment